Sunday, April 3, 2011

Daily Report for Sunday, April 3rd

Many of my English II students have decided to join us on this trip to Cambodia, even though they are missing 3 days of classes and a 2-3 page essay on Autism. In exchange for skipping that assignment, I decided to offer my students write daily blog reports on what kind of things we were doing in Cambodia. Today's article was written by Enoch. He's talking about the two main activities we did today: visiting a Landmine museum and a Cultural Center.

It takes 5 kg to press down the trigger, push away the metal block, release the a little bar with a spring, and trigger the explosion. Land mines are build to create severe damage.
We walked through concrete floors to see the next sign and land mine. On the sign was the story of the founder of this museum: He was a Khmer Rouge when he was ten, and had to handle an AK-47 that was as big as him. One day, he was in a jungle, the two armies were firing at each other. He sees his uncle, but didn't had the courage to shoot his uncle. His uncle didn't recognize him and started to fire at him. He fired around his uncles head to scare him away. "Why did you miss?", his friends asked him. "I had a headache and couldn't aim.", he replied. Many years later he met his uncle and tell him the story, They laughed about it. The next sign was about the structure of land mines. I started to feel my leg tinkle, I started to watch my steps, nothing exploded.

The cultural village was a big area, with many sections for different peoples in Cambodia.
There was even cages and local animals. I continued to think about the founder of the landline museum. He use to set land mines because he was taught that way, his life had always being full with war. Now he works with organizations to save people from injury. The monkey in the cage is climbing on the fence, it had a funny face. The park in the "village" is full with weird statue of faces. They were bold and their face squished by their expressions. I got tired of the swings and went in to a ghost house. It was stupid.

In the hotel room, I watched TV and waited for the sun to set. The air out side was too hot for dinner. When we are on the bus, heading toward to the restaurant, the air had become tolerable. The food street was filled with people, as usual. I had soup and pizza, it's very nice to chat with my fellow classmate and have fun like that.

Tomorrow we are going to teach kids. I think I'll go to sleep, 8 hours and 37 minutes until 6: 45.

No comments:

Post a Comment